Seomra Spraoi / Wednesday 4th March / 7pmâ€“9pm
LASC Latin America Solidarity Centre presents:
TNT Thursday Night Talk (Exceptionally on Wednesday)
4th March, 7:00 pm
Seomra Spraoi, 10 Belvidere Court, Dublin 1
5 Years Under Military Occupation: What Has the Future in Store for Haiti?
- On February 29th, 2008, US, French, Canadian and Chilean troops invade Haiti, kidnap and expel President Aristide to the Central African Republic and put an unpopular member of the opposition into government.
- On July, the UN sent an armed contingent, the MINUSTAH, to take effective control of the country.
- On February 2006 the current president Rene Preval was elected as the candidate of â€œnational sovereigntyâ€â€¦ yet, the occupation has not been questioned in any sensitive form.
- On April 2008 there was widespread rioting for the high cost of food that quickly turned into anti-occupation protests.
- 5 years later, the country remains under UN military occupation while social conditions keep deteriorating.
- 5 years laterâ€¦ Is there any sign of hope for Haiti or we would expect it to be forever more a UN protectorate?
Talk delivered by JosÃ© Antonio GutiÃ©rrez, Research and Development Officer, LASC
For more information, see lasc.ie